In the same glade , I noticed something hanging in a stand of Rosebay Willowherb . As I got closer , I thought it was a wrapper that had blown onto the plant . When I got up close , I realised it was three Bumble Bees , which I think were Buff-tailed Bumble Bees . Two were what I would call normal sized , but one was enormous . I thought it at the time , and am more sure now , that the large one was a Queen . I managed to get one shot , then the three of them broke away from each other , and I watched the probable Queen fly off , disappearing into the surrounding trees . I followed her , but didn't find her , but did come across some very robust Pyramidal Orchids in an area that we cleared last Winter . There must have been 15/20 plants , the seeds of which must have been laying dormant , shaded out by the mass of Aspen that we subsequently removed , making the hard work of the Winter , very rewarding . Not as exotic , but still a pretty flower , was the Yarrow , another of the Daisy family . Usually it's found in it's white form , but also in this pink form . By now , the sky was darkening from the Southwest , but on my way back to the car , I stopped to see how the Broad-Leaved Helleborines that we found in another area of the Common , were doing . When we cleared scrub and small trees from the area last Winter , we found the remains of over 50 of the plants . Would our work have helped or hindered them . Two things were very obvious , there were just as many plants as last year , if not more , I stopped counting at 53 , but the most striking thing was how robust this year's plants are , compared to some of the spindly plants found last year . So I think that work was a real success story as well . I got to the car as the first spots started falling , and by halfway home , was driving in a monsoon . This afternoon has just been a succession of showers and thunderstorms , so I'm well pleased I got out this morning .