Sunday 6 September 2009

Sunday 6th.September 2009

I could only get out for a couple of hours after lunch , but , as it turned out , it was the best part of the day weather wise . I decided to do the full Butterfly transect at High Elms , probably the last one of the season . In very reasonable conditions , 10 species were recorded , but there were long periods between recording specimens . The large numbers of Meadow Brown have now dwindled to 38 , and the second largest record was Speckled Wood at 11 . Common Blue managed 6 , and Comma and Brown Argus (pictured) , both made 3 each . 2 Large White , and singles of Green Veined and Small (pictured) , along with single Small Copper and Red Admiral finished things off . Up on Burnt Gorse , I encountered another Hornet , but this one was alone , and was searching at ground level , in amongst the vegetation . In the same area , and looking like Pearl Barley , the almost silvery seeds of Common Gromwell , will ensure another flush of it's white flowers next year . At the Orchid Bank all was quiet , with the Hemp Agrimony going over and the cooler nights , it looks as if the Peacocks have gone into hibernation , to re-appear next Spring . On the path , I found an old friend , but this time without it's lunch , the Common Awl Robberfly , showing up well against the lighter path . A bit further along , I came across what I think is another Conopid Fly , as it was actively digging in an area where there were several Solitary Bee holes , and of course this species preys on the Bees . Also found on the way round were 5 Common Darter and 1 Migrant Hawker . Close to the end of the transect , I had just recorded a tawny coloured Comma , when a male Southern Hawker landed on the Brambles about a metre away . I got a couple of shots from a distance , then started to get closer . It didn't move off , so I got closer still , looking straight into that large compound , blue eye I must admit , that getting this close , I couldn't help but try to get him to pose on my finger , but , after getting two legs onto my finger , he changed his mind , and disappeared at speed . Only other things of interest were a couple of Silver Y moths , Rose Ringed Parakeets and Coal Tit heard , but not seen .
To finish , a shot from last night whilst I was unloading my hedgelaying gear in the garage . This Dor Beetle-Geotrupes stercorarius , was attracted in by the light , and in the enclosed garaged made quite a buzz , as it was a good 2/3 cms. in length . I caught it and released it outside , and quickly turned off the light .
And from this afternoon , when I came home , Carol had found this nest beneath the neighbour's Conifer , but in or garden . From the amount of roots incorporated in the build , my money is on Greenfinch , but as usual , I stand to be corrected .

3 comments:

Warren Baker said...

nest looks good for greenfinch greenie.
I found a very small - small copper today. Do they have a second brood, and are they smaller than the first.

ShySongbird said...

That is a brilliant close up of the Southern Hawker Greenie! The eye is amazing.

The Robberfly looks a bit of a bruiser!

Kingsdowner said...

Sorry that you failed to pull the hawker, but good shots anyway!