Saturday 13 December 2008

Saturday 13th.December 2008

Unlike some of the hardy population of Pittswood , I didn't venture outside today . We should have been back at the Hogsback near Guildford , but the combination of 12 hours forecasted rain and sharp tools in wet hands is not a good one , and ruling out today seemed the best option . Shame really , as it has been the worst day of the week , and I always look forward to days out with the Surrey Hedgelaying Group .
It did give the opportunity for me to catch up on filing away images on the computer , in the hope that I will easily find them , when required , in the future . It also meant that I was working in the back bedroom , overlooking the back gardens , and in particular , the Cotoneaster bush next door . When the food was put out on the path , it only took minutes for the Finches to arrive in numbers . The Chaffinches split between the feeders and the path , whereas the Goldfinches and Greenfinches immediately started WW3 over the Sunflower Hearts .
I saw movement amongst the Cotoneaster berries , but the Thrushes are feeding on the far side of the shrub , and only occassionaly showing well . Given the wind and the rain , photography was not easy . Eventually , one of the small flock of Redwings did show more in the open and I managed a quick shot . Two seconds later , and it was gone again to the back of the shrub .
I carried on with my photographs , having the odd glance to see any shot opportunities . At one point I looked and there on the lawn were two Redwings , hopping about , but very nervous . I grabbed the camera and got a couple of shots , before , for no apparant reason , they flew off and dived for cover at the bottom of next door's garden .
I don't know how much later it was when I had another look down the gardens , but when I did so , there was nothing about . I was just about to return to the computer , when from the corner of my eye , I saw something in the top of the conifer at the end of the rockery . In driving rain I could see an unusual head and bill , and with the binoculars I could make out a Sparrowhawk , half hidden by a branch of the conifer . I didn't dare open the window , so took the two shots through double glazing and driving rain , by no means the best filter over the lens . No sooner had I taken the second , then she , I think , lifted off and headed between two houses and away . After lunch , I kept getting the Redwing sighting in amongst the berries , and at one stage saw a Fieldfare on an Ash close by , but didn't see it come down . Just after 2 o'clock , with the light already fading , I noticed a Fieldfare on the Cotoneaster , and this time was able to get a few shots before it also disappeared around the back . I was just turning away when I noticed a Redwing lower down in the shrub , and took this shot , not very good , but Fieldfare at very top and Redwing at very bottom .

I finished off my photos on the computer , and thought , thats not bad sightings for a bad weather day , AND I didn't put myself in the frame for catching 'man flu' either .

2 comments:

Ken. said...

Hi Greenie
It's always nice to get the winter thrushes in your gaden. Your not the only one who stayed in.

Warren Baker said...

Seems your winter thrushes are a little more confiding than the pittswood variety greenie! I have only ever seen one Redwing in my garden in the 9 years i've lived here, and not one Fieldfare!
Well done for making the most of a bad day.
PS watch out for that ''Man Flu''