Thursday 18 December 2008

Thursday 18th. December 2008

Now , one would not normally class a trolley shed in a supermarket car park as a haven for wildlife , but , whilst returning the trolley to the said shed yesterday ,
even when the trolleys crashed together , the Starlings were not phased , and carried on singing and preening , as if wasn't there . Given that Starlings are not the most approachable of species , I think this was quite exceptional . I don't usually take my camera when going to tjhe supermarket , just on the odd chance of a Waxwing , or other Winter visitor , needlessly to say , I didn't see any . Just as the sun was going down last night , I took this shot . Seconds before , there were four Carrion Crows sitting in the top of a neighbour's Silver Birch , but , as usual , as soon as the camera comes out , off some flew . Before heading off for a day working up on the Common , I had another try at getting closer to the Redwings in the Cotoneaster next door . I have tried concealing myself a few times , but it has never worked out , hence the shots from the back bedroom window . Today I did manage to get two shots , still not very good , but I succeeded in the end . The good news is that the berries are 90% gone now , so there shouldn't be any more Redwing shots till next year . On the way to the Common , I stopped off at Keston Ponds as usual . Not much change in wildfowl . The hoped for female Goldeneye or Goosander didn't materialise , but I did find two pairs of Mandarin and , wait for it , seven Coots .

3 comments:

Warren Baker said...

seven coots!! A real hotspot there greenie. My thoery is coots attract Goosander, and Goldeneye. ;-) So keep checking that pond.

Ken. said...

If anyone had told me that there were Starlings shopping at Tesco's, I would say they were off their trolley. But in this instance I should say on it!!

Greenie said...

Ken ,
I thought I was pushing my luck with the pictures , but , your quips take the biscuit and crackers and nuts and ......