Saturday 11 June 2011

Saturday 11th. June 2011

Firstly , thanks very much to Phil/Sharp by Nature , for identifying the two insects on yesterdays post as the nymph and adult form , in that order , of Calocoris roseomaculatus . Cheers Phil .
With the forecast giving a better morning than afternoon , I set off for High Elms , to do the butterfly transect , hoping for better results than last time . By the time I had finished the Conservation Field , which takes about 20 minutes on its own , I realised that nothing had changed , as I only recorded 20 or so Meadow Browns in that time . Needless to say , that species also made up the bulk of butterflies recorded , with 77 , including this mating pair making it into the book . Common Blues were down to just 9 , with most of them very faded , like this female . Large Skipper (5) , Small Skipper (6) , Small Heath (1) and Speckled Wood made up the remainder of the sightings . In the Conservation field I did find a couple of 6-spot Burnet moth caterpillars , and also , the empty cocoon case of the same species , meaning that the moth should be on the wing , but I didn't see any . Along the paths in the woodland , last weekends rain has brought on waist high splashes of vivid yellow colour , Nipplewort/Lapsana communis , a member of the Daisy family . Also along the paths , the caterpillars of the Orange Tip butterfly are almost fully grown now , and will soon pupate into chrysalis form , in which they will spend the rest of this year and early next , before emerging as adults in their own right . Things were still slow when I reached Burnt Gorse , but a sighting of a Hummingbird Hawkmoth changed all that . It was only in view for 30 seconds or so , but had me chasing all over trying to get a shot . In the end , I did get a few , but not a decent one amongst them . The best of a poor bunch was this , still blurry even with a shutter speed of 1/4000th. of a second . The last specimen I saw was also on Burnt Gorse last year if memory serves , but I didn't even get a shot of that one .
The Birds-nest Orchids are going over now , but I was pleased to find four fresh Fly Orchids on the Orchid Bank , which over doubles their number on the site this year . The last shot was of the hoverfly Helophilus pendulus , feeding on Field Rose/Rosa arvensis .
I've been meaning to mention the number of juvenile Jackdaws around , most hatched in nests in the chimneys of the houses around , and now out , are hanging around street corners waiting for something to happen . This one seems to have a problem with one leg .
And finally , a moth for identification please , small , but a definite pattern .

4 comments:

ShySongbird said...

Some lovely photos here again and always an interesting read Greenie. Butterflies are not showing well here at all at the moment, cool, dull and windy doesn't help.

I have on rare occasions seen the Hummingbird Hawkmoth in the garden, they really are stunning little creatures.

The Fly Orchid is an attractive flower, I don't think I have ever seen one.

Alan Pavey said...

Hi Greenie, the Butterflies are a bit of a struggle at the moment, you do well for orchids, I'm not sure we get many different ones locally. I'll try to check the moth out, it is Tortrix which I'm sure you knew already! Cheers Al :-)

Anonymous said...

Greenie, it`s a Dark Fruit-tree Tortrix.

ShySongbird said...

Hi again Greenie, Sorry to be a nuisance but could I trouble you to pop back over to my blog to read my reply to your comment? There has been a query from John/Hedgeland Tales (which you will also see) regarding the Meadow Cranesbill ID.