Monday, 9 August 2010

Monday 9th.August 2010

With today forecast to be the best day of the week , I had 3 species in my mind when I set off this morning , Silver-spotted Skipper , Brown Hairstreak and Clouded Yellow .
My first stop was Denbigh's Hillside , overlooking the outskirts of Dorking , Where I hoped to find the Skipper and Yellow . Having driven there in sunshine , I arrived just as some large dark clouds rolled in and the wind increased . The hillside was alive with Chalkhill Blues , but as I was in Surrey , I could forget about counting them and just enjoy them . Mating couples were everywhere , and even when a male did manage to join with a female , there were always other males trying to muscle in on the action , like these two making it a foursome . The wind was making photography very difficult and with looking down all the time , I missed a Common Buzzard until it called right overhead , providing another of my silhouette shots of the species . One surprise on the butterfly species found ,was a second brood Dingy Skipper , my first 2nd.brood sighting , and the first brood found mid May-mid June . It took a little while to get my first target species , but eventually , a Silver-spotted Skipper settled on a Black Knapweed and I managed a couple of shots . I only saw 8/10 specimens on the visit , as they have only just emerged , and that meant that they were in really nice condition . Also on the wing were lots of second brood Adonis Blue , the males with their vibrant blue colouring . Common Blues were also about , so it was hard work separating some of the Blues . The clouds I mentioned stayed for the rest of my visit , which put the butterflies down , but gave a chance to look at some of the chalk grassland flowers , like ,
the parasitic Common Dodder-Cuscuta epithymum , using Black Knapweed as a climbing frame .

Eyebright-Euphrasia officinalis , which was used to make ladies eyes sparkle ,
Harebell-Campanula rotundifolia , another of the same family , Clustered Bellflower-Campanula glomerata ,
Ploughman's Spikenard-Inula conyza , which was used as a house deoderant ,and Restharrow-Ononis repens , a member of the Pea family .
I didn't see a Red Admiral , Small Tortoiseshell , Comma on the site , just one Large White , and no sign of a Clouded Yellow .
From there , I headed for a site near Gatwick Airport , to search for Brown Hairstreak . On arrival , I couldn't believe my eyes with the flood plain of the River Mole , flailed to within an inch of the ground , and with that , an abundance of nectar rich plants that attracted and sustained lots of invertebrates . A local dog walker said it had been done in the last two weeks , when most of the plants would have been in full flower , why ?
I checked out the spot where I have had Brown Hairstreaks in previous years , but there was no movement at all . The area where I had photographed Clouded Yellow in the past , had also been raised to the ground , so I missed out on them again . After over an hour , I decided to go round to another site , on the same river , but the other side of the airport . If anything , the wind was even stronger here , but I checked the large stands of Blackthorn , and any blossom in the area . I must admit , I was beginning to think it wasn't going to be , and decided once more round the bushes , then home . In a sheltered gap in the Blackthorn with Bramble filling the space , an area I had searched every inch of on previous visits , I finally got my second target species , Brown Hairstreak , at last .
I drove home happy , two out of three ain't bad !

6 comments:

Kingsdowner said...

Well done with the 'streak, in very challenging conditions.
The only Clouded Yellows that I've heard about this year are a brood that managed to overwinter on Dover cliffs.

Phil said...

Looks like a bit of a Chalkhill Blue orgy to me greenie, not surprised you nearly missed the Buzzard overhead. I've not seen one Clouded Yellow so far this year but I live in hope. Great Hairstreak shot.

Warren Baker said...

Bloody good photo's Greenie, especially that Brown Hairstreak.

I see there are slash and burn merchants everywhere now :-(

Anyway, whats the chances of me finding a B H on my patch, I have got some Blackthorn ????

Greenie said...

Warren ,
I would love to say that you have every chance of getting a Brown Hairstreak on the Blackthorn on your patch .
But the truth is that there are no known sites in Kent , but that doesn't mean that there aren't any , as they are the most elusive of species . I always have a good look at Blackthorn that wasn't cut back the previous winter , as this is the problem with the species , as it lays it's eggs on the outer , young shoots , the ones that are cut with the flail during hedge trimming . I would add that I have never been successful in my search in Kent .
The nearest sites I know are in Sussex and Hampshire , sorry to be the bearer of bad news .

Anonymous said...

kahkrugvi http://www.free-mass-traffic.net/free-mass-traffic/free-mass-traffic-review Free Mass Traffic

Anonymous said...

Hey, This is a message to the website owner. Please check out my friends website, he is offering a very good service that you may be intrested in. Does your website gain hardly any visitors or not rank for keywords you want it to rank for with Google? Well he can help! He can provide you with tens of thousands of backlinks to your site! Take a quick look as im sure you will be intrested. http://hellomotow.net/backlinks/